The South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) held its first Working Group Meeting on May 2, 2018 for Proposed Rule (PR) 1480 - Air Toxic Metals Monitoring. PR 1480 aims to look at all current SCAQMD rules that include toxic metals monitoring requirements and create a comprehensive rule to which future air toxics rules could refer. As a result, SCAQMD would have more current and consistent sampling methodologies across all programs.
PR 1480 would take into account the existing rules with monitoring requirements for toxic metals including the following:
- Rule 1156 - Hexavalent chromium from cement manufacturing facilities,
- Rule 1420 - Lead from any metal melting or lead processing facility,
- Rule 1420.1 - Lead from large lead-acid battery recycling facilities,
- Rule 1420.2 - Lead from metal melting facilities, and
- Rule 1466 - PM from solid with toxic air contaminants.
A few of the considerations for PR 1480 include applicability determinations, triggers, ambient concentration limits, ambient monitoring plans, length of monitoring, and costs. A second Working Group Meeting will be held in late Spring or early Summer 2018. The Governing Board Hearing is expected to occur in Fall 2018.
For more information regarding compliance with the proposed rule changes, please contact our Irvine office at (949) 567-9880 or click to visit the District's website.