IDNR COVID-19 Enforcement and Compliance Protocol
IDNR has issued a compliance and enforcement protocol in response to the current COVID-19 pandemic. The protocol is to provide regulatory relief and alleviate the economic effects of businesses and key state facilities closings. IDNR will exercise enforcement discretion through April 30, 2020 by, (1) not seeking administrative penalties for cited violations, or by (2) renewing or not seeking to revoke certain licenses, certifications or permits. The protocol addresses key concerns and annual reporting extensions for solid waste, animal feeding operations, air quality, stormwater, IDNR certified time of transfer program, wastewater, and water supply programs. If you would like to discuss the protocol with us, please reach out to either our Burlington, IA or West Des Moines, IA offices.
- IDNR's main office in downtown Des Moines, IA is closed to the general public, and all IDNR events have been cancelled or moved to a teleconference format. They will have meetings by appointments only until further notice. When possible, events will be rescheduled with information distributed accordingly. Please check the IDNR Events webpage for the latest updates.
- Linn County offices are closed to the public through March 31 (may be modified if necessary), but staff will still be available 8 am - 4:30 pm Monday-Friday. Agency recommends submitting all construction applications electronically and have canceled non-essential meetings. Please check the Linn County Air Quality Division website for the latest updates.
- Polk County public works office is closed to the public until further notice, but staff will still be available during normal business hours. Permits can be submitted to them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please check the Polk County Air Quality Division website for the latest updates.
2020 Reporting Reminders
- Title V facilities' Annual Compliance Certification (ACC), Semiannual Monitoring Report (SMR), and Emission Inventory Questionnaire (EIQ) are NOW DUE April 30, 2020. Forms and instructions for the ACC and SMR are on the IDNR's Title V Compliance/Certification webpage. Title V facilities must submit the EIQ through SLEIS.
- Annual hazardous waste fees must be submitted by April 15, 2020 for Small Quantity Generators, Large Quantity Generators, and anyone that treats, stores, disposes of, or transports hazardous waste. Forms and instructions are available on the IDNR Haz Waste Fees webpage.
- Minor Source Emission Inventory Questionnaires (MSEIQs) are due May 15, 2020 for emission year 2019 for minor source facilities in the central section of Iowa (Field Office 2 & 5). MSEIQ forms and instructions are available on the IDNR Minor Sources webpage. Alternatively, SLEIS can be used to submit the report.
- U.S. EPA's Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) reports are due July 1, 2020 for facilities manufacturing, processing, or otherwise using subject chemicals over threshold quantities. Reports must be submitted through U.S. EPA's electronic TRI-MEweb Application.