As part of O.Reg. 1/17, all facility subject to the Air and Noise Emissions (EASR) Regulation, are required to assess for odour. The facility would need to complete an Odour Screening Procedure. The Odour screening procedure would use facility information to determine if there is a potential for an adverse effect due to the presence of the presence of odour. If the procedure identifies a potential for adverse effects, a Best Management Practices Plan may be required.
A BMPP is used to prevent and manage potential odour issues by incorporating practices or procedures into the facility's routine operations. The additional steps implemented into a workers routine, are known as Best Management Practices (BMPs), and could be general to all facilities or specialized to that specific site.
Facilities with operations that have the potential to cause adverse odour effects at off-site receptors may be required to develop BMPP. Off-site receptors include areas in which human activities occur including residences, schools, daycares, hospitals and sport fields. If a facility is screened through the form or possesses a certain North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code, it will also be required to develop a BMPP.
The following outlines some of the information required in a BMPP (MOECC, 2017):
- Facility Description
- Legal name of Company and Site
- Legal Name of Each Owner
- Legal Name of Operator
- Site Address
- ECA Requirements (if applicable)
- ECA Approval Number and Terms & Conditions for Odour
- Process Description and Process Flow
- Facility / Process Mapping
- Identification of Potential Sources of Odour
- Method used to identify sources and screening for potential odour effects
- Details of odour sources, odorous emissions and intensity under normal operating conditions
- Details of potential odorous emissions from sources under upset or other conditions or on an intermittent /occasional frequency
- Current Facility BMPs Associated with each Source/Potential Source of Odour
- New BMPs and Implementation Schedule for BMPs
- BMPP Inspection, Maintenance, and Monitoring Procedures
- Recordkeeping Practices
- Procedures for Handling Complaints
- Training Practices
- BMP Review Procedures and Schedule
- Statement and Signature of Facility Representative, if in Support of EASR Registration.
- Statement and Signature of Licensed Engineering Practitioner, if in Support of EASR Registration.